Friday, August 7, 2015

Shereline - Dremel Drill Chuck Attachment

For years I've struggled with chucking 60 and smaller drills in a drill press so when I got a spare Dremel chuck I decided to make a shaft for it that could be mounted to any drill press in the shop.

I started out trying to obtain a Die for the unusual thread size 9/32 - 40; although they are available not a single source in the States had them on hand, only from the UK.

After another week of "not wanting to buy" a $30 die I realized that all I needed was a old or worn out Dremel to scavenge the shaft from. I had an old Fordam like cable that I had not used in 25 years and decided that I would sacrifice it.

Any drill chuck that is not ultra precision is not concentric with its shaft and the Dremel falls into that category.

After removing the shaft from the cable I mounted it to the lathe like so.

Using a 1/8 dowel pin I got the setup as close to Shereline perfection as possible.

After rough cutting I used my Dremel grinder (one of my most popular posts of all) to get the shaft tru, and a half under 0.250.
In order to get the result I was looking for I had to finally make a wheel dresser for the Dremel.







So now I'm going to look for another junk Dremel to get the shaft from as a spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment