Friday, December 20, 2013

Sherline Mill - X Axis Oiler

Just like all Sherline mill owners I have had a hard time oiling the X axis but when I saw the X axis oiler option for new machines from Sherline it got me thinking about how I could do a retrofit on my two mills.

I am always looking for "no cost" upgrades like my Y axis Extension so this is what I came up with.






Using (for the 1st time) my 1/8" tube bender I created a perfect little work around.





I made the aluminum one as a test but didn't have enough soft tubing to make the finish versions. So I switched to copper tube, the copper had to be annealed 1st.
The room above the spindle is very slim so I crushed the tube about half way. I made the little hold downs and the flaring tool too.





Ultimately the fill end of the tube has to be above the exit end as a result the tube remains full of oil in between oilings, I drop a small steel nail into the top to keep dirt & chips out and use a magnet to pull it out.

It's easily removable if it gets in the way but it is below the top of the ways so I don't think there will be any issues.

I think it makes a perfect no cost upgrade, I'll report on any issues as they come up later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment