Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Champion 10 Leather Splitter Rebuild

Not sure how old this thing is, 75 years old? Lots of net search yealded very little.

I'm looking for a manual, an exploded view, patent dwgs. anything that would help me get into the mind of the designer and understand better how to dial it in.

Picked it up from my friend Ralph over at Grosse Pointe Shoe Repair; he had never used it. It was bolted to the bench when he bought the shop 20+ years ago; judging by the cob webs on it. I asked if he could part with it.


It has 2 broken castings and the main gear is cracked. It's working fine in spite of all that.
Took pictures as I disassembled it... they came in very handy! Probably about 7 hours of time into the rebuild

After sharpening the blade and getting the bottom roller positioned correctly I got a trial split, no problem.

Its hard to beat a RED machine!

Just like Case vs John Dear you got your Reds and your Greens.

Sharpening:

The 6" x 0.25" x 3" blade is a formidable challenge, without a surface grinder however...
I have a surface plate!
It became apparent that I needed a sanding fixture to hold the angle and so made this little clamp.
I could even use it on the belt sander for the rough work.

The previous owner put a huge belly in the center of the blade so the only way out was a lot of metal removal.

With slots in the carriage plat I can level and change the angle of the blade.
The Champion can split very evenly but the blade must be even.

Adding some additional assem. photos:









These picture were very helpful in getting this contraption back together.









11 comments:

  1. Hi, would you be kind enough to share the pics you took during dismantling.....I can't work out how to get the rollers off of mine and like you say, there seems to be very little info available on them even though many companies produced them under different names. Mine is The Standard Engineering Co Ltd. And the only difference is the thickness dial. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I was using it daily until I decided to improve it and now I've just got a pile of parts! Oops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, so sorry I have not responded sooner.
      I will add pics ASAP

      Delete
    2. Hi, added some additional shots, let me know if you have any questions.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i got a Model D but since i've bought it i haven't be able to split any kind of leather (thick, thin, soft, stiff). some times the leather go straight down the blade or get stuck between the rollers but with no look with the splitting. i've tried sharpening the blade and then stropping but still no splitting. i can send you pictures if you can help. sorry for my english i'm form Venezuela. best regards...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures on the breakdown of the CHAMPION MODEL 10. I am wondering if you could take some more pictures with the guard removed so that I could see the gear drive in place. I am looking to build one of my own with servo driven stock feed and cutting depth to automate the creation of the skive angle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you ever get a manual or patent information on this splitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, no manual, they could be pretty rare.
      If you are fabricating your own from scratch I would not use this system, maybe chain or belt drive.
      The Model 10 uses oversized gears that can move apart and so is a very imprecise thing

      Delete
  6. hi, no i dont have anything beside the splitter , the person who sold it never told me if it worked or not

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings.....
    Just curious if you are still around?
    I recently acquired a Champion 10 and having someone to talk with would be nice.
    Thank you, Stephen

    ReplyDelete