Friday, March 2, 2018

LittleMachineShop Mini Lathe 5200 - Lever Action Tail Stock

When I got the LMS 5200 I knew I wanted to add the tailstock lever to the tools options

I came up with this design that fits in to my "retrofit" theory

I ordered another complete tailstock and designed a system that I think meets all requirements

The main complication is being able to get the MT2 OUT after you slam it home

The tailstock converts pretty easily


After using it a couple of times I realized that the small thumb wheel was totally inadequate because it has to be turned in the 1.5" to engage the MT and kick it out so I went back to the original hand wheel.
I remade the lever out of 0.25" aluminum and now have a much more robust product.


I get over 1.5" of travel and retain the exact features of the original tailstock


Basic cad design


No comments:

Post a Comment