Sunday, September 9, 2018

Sherline Mill - Ball Screw XYZ Axes Retrofit Kit Instalation

Have been using the CNC Sherline Mill for about 10 years and finally got tired of adjusting the backlash every hour or two of milling.

I kept a record of the backlash history and had the system down to about an Hour to do all 3 axis.



It was my last two sided milling that tipped me over the edge; you need to know that the Z axis is accurate

Anyhow, since the last time I looked into it Sherline developed their own Kit, so I went for it
Took about 3 weeks to get, seems to be a high demand.

Installation went smoothly, took about 4 hours to get the whole system in place 2 hours to mount the chip guards and another hour to make some changes on Mach 3.


So it is a stressful install; the scariest part is trying to be certain you don't unwind any of  the ball bearings. Sherline doesn't give any indication where the max point is on each carriage.

 The ways covers were included with my order but I think there needs to be much more attention payed to the installation; they could make some of the attachments built in. However, when installed they work beautifully.

The Z axis sounds SOO much better now, it used to really squeal, now its silent

I had to switch the Units on Mach 3 to get the inches distance corrected. All 3 axis were set to 32000, now I have them set to around 20033...

Indeed the repeatability on all 3 is in the 1/2 thou range just beautiful!


I had to remake the Z axis reinforcement attachment at the top to accommodate the new motor mounts.



1 comment:

  1. Tom very nice work!
    I have 2 denford mills and 2 denford lathes. All running. I went to CCS also the Professional Automotive modeling program in 2010. And i worked in the Auto design biz. I am in Windsor love to chat.
    Steve 'poker' Popmarkov
    www.pokerautomotive.com

    ReplyDelete