Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sherline CNC Mill - Biscuit Jointer Hold-down Groove

Its all about getting the workpiece onto the cross slide ASAP.

I often find that I simply want to mount the blank directly to the cross slide and instead of using the tall clamps and stepped riser blocks (which are a pain) I prefer to use the little clamps. Cutting a groove in the ends of the workpiece can be time consuming but not with this method.

The standard method is to epoxy the blank to a piece of plywood but that takes time and money. 

I set up my biscuit joiner to the proper depth (3/8ths) and in two seconds I have a groove into my blank.


In this case it went thru nylon with no effort.



This an example of "cross-pollination" from my woodworking experience. The biscuit joiner is a little portable End Mill that has excellent accuracy, repeatability and adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment