Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sherline Mill - Double wide T slot clamps

I have found that with so many of my larger milling projects that clamping the maximum area is preferred especially when using 12 lb foam. Another issue is that the exact center of my Y travel is located at the front edge of the cross slide which means that these bigger millings always overhang.

I especially do not like the extra step of bonding  the blank to yet another piece of material just to have to chisel it off later.

I decided to make a gang clamp that would combine both of the standard Allen screws onto one bar giving me maximum surface area and extending a little way over the edge for added stability.


The question was how wide is wide? The T slides are 1.5" apart so right off it became at least 3", the T slot to the edge is .615" so add them up and you have 4.230" total.


I took 5/8 x 1 C channel and cut off one leg; a perfect 3/8 height without any further work.

04.04.13
I made V2 of the double wides out of 1 x 1 x .12 aluminum channel.

The goal this time was to get a deeper bite onto the tooling foam groove that I cut using my biscuit joiner.

No comments:

Post a Comment