Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sherline CNC Mill - Motor Upgrade

Like so many Sherline owners I too had questions regrading the Z axis with respect to the motor capacity to handle the weight.
I found a 20kg - cm 6 wire motor to replace the 10kg - cm original equipment motor.
For installation I carefully reviewed the two spec sheets and  matched the color coded wires, making a temporary set up on a breadboard to test things at every stage.All went fine and the 1.8deg. motor was a perfect match but it turned in the wrong direction. Luckily for me the Mach 3 software has a reverse motor direction switch so with a few clicks I was up & running.






Unfortunately I did not get the dual ended version, I don't recommend this; you will want the hand wheel someday I'm sure.





Standardization is a wonderful thing isn't it?
I don't think I' am going to replace the other two axis right now but it would not hurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment