Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sherline Mill - Break Press Bar Fabrication

I wanted a full length bending bar for my bench top break press.Over the years I have wanted an uninterrupted single bar so this is how I made one on the Sherline.
I started out with some old school drafting.
Lots of trig to get from here to there.
This crazy 60deg happy accident was discovered by setting the steel stock into the T slot.
I decided to just go for it. I know that the angle will not be exact but the goal was to have a crisp straight line and any angle less than 80 deg. is fine; its around 60 deg.
I made the 3 hold-downs out of a single piece of 0.75" alum. hex.
My basic feed & speed for steel on the Sherline is 0.004" - 0.005" cut and about 5 ipm.
The Sherline is simply not stiff enough to take a heavier cut and that is why I hand write simple code to get me thru what would be a long hand crank process.
The 3 clamps obviously had the opportunity to be out of alignment, and so after a few passes I had to tighten the left side and loosen the right side to tune to bar into square.


No comments:

Post a Comment