Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sherline Mill - DIY T - Nuts

I ordered some of those A2Z T nuts a few years ago and I really like them. The Sherline T nuts don't make any sense to me; they protrude just above the deck surface, are far to short, and are difficult to slip in with out looking closely.

It looks like A2Z went out of business but the T Nuts are still available for $5 - $6 each.

I decided to make my own.
First I had to decide on my own set of dimensions, and as with any DIY project you can be more precise. So I made my own choices regarding how loose to fit them.



I started out with the dimensions of the slots in the table, then the dimensions of the A2Z, and lastly the dimensions I wanted to target. 
I used the dimensions at the bottom of the sheet, the red are the dimensions I achieved, .


I always try to work in long strips and make an over sized "blank" or extrusion. I had to turn down the heads on three 10-32 screws so I could clamp my strip stock directly to the table.
The dimensions are good!
I divided up the strip stock into equal parts around 0.550" long, cut them with the band saw, and finished then on the 1" belt sander. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I see you cut them in lengths of .550. It looks like you have 3 different profile dimensions, though. I was wondering which was your final set. Also, what did you use to part them into singles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added a close up pic of the layout page, the dimensions at the bottom are the ones that I used, the red are my results.

      I used the band saw to split them up and sanded the edges on the belt sander.

      I'm pretty happy with them, don't think I would change anything for now.

      Delete
  2. What was your choice of metal?

    ReplyDelete