Monday, April 27, 2015

Thread Gauge Holder for WoodCraft "Thread Detective"



I looked over the WoodCraft "Thread Detective" products and bought one SAE an one Metric set.



The product is much more user friendly than using a thread gauge and calipers.

The product is great but the cable "kit" is a little lame, so I decided to make a holder for them like my drill bit holders.
This is what I came up with: Metric on the top row, English on the bottom. 

I machined it out of 40lb tooling foam and put a swivel base on it.

I actually had to make it smaller than I wanted to fit on the Sherline; it maxed out the Y axis travel at 4.94" dia,

With a little over 6" of Y travel you need to leave room for the max tool dia. and the cutter path to move clear of the part.

So anyone who wants to make a version of it on a 3D printer or injection mold I have the CAD data ready to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment