Friday, December 28, 2012

Sherline Lathe - Chip Guard

I needed a chip guard for a while but I'm particular, so when I finally designed it in my mind I started looking through the scrap metal bin and found the perfect aluminum extrusion.



I was looking for the smallest screen possible, not a whole machine type cover. The only way a minimum chip shield works is if it travels with the tool bit. The chips come off of the tool bit and go radially from that point. My machine is not set up to bathe the parts in coolant so I am only protecting myself from chips and oil spray. I use a needle point tip on my oil can (see in background) and put the absolute minimum drop by drop on my work.

I also wanted to attach it the same way as the tool holders. I leave the holder post in each T slot on the cross slide and spin out the Allen screw for each tool holder change so there is always a post available to the right or left of the tool holder post in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment